Re: Helmet?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Helmet?
From: "Tyson Lee" <tysonlee@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:16:22 -0800
I've put together my own collection of thoughts and propaganda on a helmet
FAQ, kinda skewed towards my road racing perspective, but still explains the
differences and what i think is important for a helmet.  feel free to pass
the link on.

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/helmet.html

I will note that the common generality of the difference between M and SA
concerning SA helmet's ability to withstand more "multiple" impacts is not
quite accurate.  The general testing is the same for both, a series of
impacts using 3 separate anvils (flat, round, sharp) and must pass the same
parameters.  SA only adds an extra anvil test specifically simulating an
impact with a rollcage tubing.  It is also true that SA adds fire resistant
linings and materials.

So basically, 1) if youre not concerned of the risk of vehicle fire (and if
you really were, you should wear a whole suit and boots and gloves, just a
fire resistant helmet is not going to protect your bodys vital components,
skin, in a fire anyway) and 2) have no rollcage (or forward mounted tubing,
i believe contact with just a rollbar would be difficult since its
completely rearward of the body) then for whatever motorsport event (HPDE,
autox) that doesnt specificially require SA, then an M will do just fine.
Also, the specification "SNELL95" is commonly used, it should just mean
either an M or SA helmet meeting the 95 year requirements or later.  just
remember, M helmets also got to help save the lives of motorcyclists, so its
not like theyre an inferior type of helmet....

tyson