Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk

To: Andy McKee <andrewmckee@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stock Shock Chalk Talk
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 19:19:14 -0700
On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 06:10:47PM -0700, Andy McKee wrote:

>  Assuming you could write rules that somehow kept the cost factor
> out of a "True" Stock class (I wish you luck on that one), would it
> then be successful from a participation standpoint on a regional as
> well as national level? I'm not so sure you could keep cost out of a
> bone stock class. Would it bother you if I showed up at every event
> with brand new, shaved to optimal tread depth OEM tires?  If you
> required OEM shocks, how about if I bought 10 sets and picked out
> the ones with the best dyno curves?  Ditto on springs.

I've seen that argument used, and you will get nowhere near as much
difference in a hand-picked stock shock as you can with a
custom-valved or custom made shock.  No matter how bad the tolerances
are, you're just not going to luck into an OEM shock that works the
same as what you'd get if you phoned up Guy Ankeny and said "Here's
3500 bucks, set me up with some Penskes for my Miata".  And it will
take you more time and probably cost you more money.

And I believe that that is a good goal.  Making the cost greater and
the returns smaller makes it a lot less attractive to go there.  And
it makes the advantage smaller even if someone does decide it's
worthwhile.

>If you could use "off the shelf Konis", would it bother you that I
>have an "in" at Koni so that I helped develop the valving for my car?
>Too bad Koni makes an inferior shock for your model.

I don't see that as any different than trying to get a custom built
shock from a shop that has no experience with my model.

>From most arguments, it seems that people would like to restrict
>cost.  Short of totally revamping all stock class rules for tires,
>wheels, exhaust, etc. the cost argument isn't that strong with me.
>Shocks are not the biggest cost on a single year even purchasing
>something like Penske's, and at the end of that year at least the
>shocks have some resale value (unlike tires, gas, entry fees, hotel
>bills, etc.).

Actually, a while ago I added up my autocrossing costs, including
entry fees, hotels and gas for tours, tires, performance parts, and
alignments, and new Penskes are comparable to the sum of everything
else I've spent on autocross so far.  Used Penskes are comparable to
everything I've spent this year, which is the year that includes car
preparation on the Miata.  I guess an autocrossing budget must look
real different for people who run Hoosiers on cars that are hard on
tires.

I guess if you really want a budget-controlled near-spec class you can
pick up an MR2 and run E-stock.  Those guys seem to have an agreement
not to get into shock escalation, and I think that's great (even if
they do all run Hoosiers :p ).  I just wish that attitude weren't
limited to E-stock.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94