RE: I need help with understanding Tire options for F STOCK

To: "'John J. Stimson-III'" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I need help with understanding Tire options for F STOCK
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 07:31:14 -0700
John said:

> If the new DOT requirements are passed, only road-worthy
> tires will be certified, and only road-worthy tires will be
> allowed in stock and Street classes.

That's how it works at least in theory. In reality, the "certifications"
that groups like DOT come up with often have little to do with reality
which means a "certified" tire is simply "certified" and isn't
necessarily roadworthy in any common sense meaning of the term.

For example, do we really think a helmet is "crashworthy" just because
it is DOT approved? Based on what I've seen on the heads of many
motorcyclists, I'd bet a fortified tupperware bowl could be DOT
"certified" as a helmet. Part of the reason the Snell rating exists is
because the DOT rating is basically meaningless.