RE: Three autocross related questions.

To: "'Jake Hodges'" <jake@codeworm.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Three autocross related questions.
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:01:32 -0700
#1:  It is true that many "hardcore" people I've talked to like that site a
lot.  Maybe that makes them more likely to go the extra distance?  What's
even more depressing is that several of the top-flite regulars ran either
out of group or ran the same cars in stiffer-PAX'ed classes for time
reasons.  Randy Noll, Teresa Neidel, Derek Butts, Andy McKee, and Ben
Martinez all did this and would have PAX'ed 1,3,4,6, and 21 respectively,
knocking my percentile score down by about a factor of 2!

#2:  318tii is a misnomer.  There was never such a car, only the 318ti.
Someone probably got confused with the old 2002tii from the 70s.  So, Mr.
Crawford may have been confused by that vague wording and made an honest
mistake.  It's up to you and him to decide what to do about it, but as Pat
says each competitor is responsible for correctly classing his/her own car.

#3:  PAX values are calculated well after nationals, just before the start
of the new year.  No one will be surprised to see HS take a big jump this
year, but you have to be careful when attributing that to the Mini alone.
Yes the MINI is a stellar little car and has many things going for it.  But
much more importantly, the MINI is creating a lot of excitement in a class
that previously wasn't the biggest draw at national events (HS at SD Tour
2001 was won by a rental Dodge Intrepid for example).  Now many top-flite
national drivers are snapping up Minis, and that will influence the results
as much if not more than the car itself.  As for the Focus, it has been
around for a couple years now but HS nationals were still won 2 years
running by a guy in a 200k+ mile '89 Civic with the mighty 108hp lump under
the hood.

Lastly, I would agree with Katie- you're doing pretty darned well
considering you're still on street tires.  And you will continue to get
better, but learning often happens in fits and spurts rather than in one
continuous progression.  It's important to not get discouraged, have fun,
and keep doing more events.  Sign up for any schools you can get into, and
don't be afraid to seek the advice of those you want to eventually beat.
Mr. Guidero for example has shown to be pretty competitive whether he is
driving the Mini, the Insight, or any other car he has borrowed.  I have
found that riding with really fast drivers and/or letting them drive your
car is very, very helpful.

Peter