Re: Tire pressure and the Sun

To: J C <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tire pressure and the Sun
From: Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:17:47 -0700
On Tuesday, April 16, 2002, at 07:30 , J C wrote:

> I've been noticing... I arrive at an autox, park my
> car and let it sit for a while well before my run
> group. Before putting air in my tires (after they've
> had a chance to cool down from the drive to the event)
> I check the pressure. What I find is that the side
> facing the Sun is usually a few PSI higher than the
> side in the shade (which is no real surprise). My
> question is this: when I'm pumping up my tires for the
> event should I bias the sunny side to be a few PSI
> higher than the shady side or should I make both sides
> equal? Discuss!

Actually you should drive around in (slow) circles rather than parking,
in order to provide even sun-based warming.

I find it simplest to run my tires up several pounds above what I want
my starting pressure to be upon arrival (actually I do it before arrival
at a convenient service station).  Then bleed them down on grid to where
you want them.  It's noticeably easier to let air out of tires than to
put it in.

For all you barbarians, if you drove a C5 Corvette instead you'd be able
to notice the sun-warming effect on any prolonged north-south stretch of
road on your handy driver information center display.

KeS