Re: 91-95 MR2 Comments?

To: "Todd Stiers" <tas@darthracing.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 91-95 MR2 Comments?
From: "Bryan Heitkotter" <bryan64@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:12:15 -0800
I own the old school MR2, but have been 'into' MR2s for 3 years or so.  I've
driven probably 10, although only one was a MK2 (91-95).  What I really like
about them is their instant turn-in response.  You point, it goes. :)  The
Spyder is especially remarkable this way.  But back to the MK2.  For
autocross purposes, I'd go with an NA model for its engine response and
torque characteristics.  And lighter weight.  They're the car to have in ES
(formerly CS) if you want to be competitive.

I have only autocrossed a Miata once, but from what I can gather it tends to
have the opposite handling characteristics as the MR2.  The MR2 is easy to
oversteer into a turn, but wants to understeer coming out of it [unless you
drift around the whole thing {evil laugh} ].  The Miata tends to understeer
into a turn, but it's easier to get controllable oversteer after the apex.
I'm sure both of these characteristics can be made more equal with good
setup tuning (talk to Peter - his MR2 looked incredibly balanced at corner
exit yesterday!).  Correct me if I'm wrong, Miata owners. :)

I'd suggest that you try to get rides or even co-drives in the MR2 and Miata
(if you're interested in that car at all) and see what you like.  The MR2 is
a bit of a unique car in the way it handles.  Some people love it, others
have a hard time with it.  When driven right, they fly. :)

If all you're looking for is some cheap auto-x fun, I would suggest the
earlier MR2.  They're about the best bargain going for your fun-per-dollar
ratio. :)  The NA model can be had cheaper than an early Miata ($2500 will
get you a pretty good one) and performance is pretty much equal.  The
Supercharged MK1 MR2 costs more and it's a little heavier than the NA MK1,
but with gobs more torque.  Both can be competitive up to the regional level
at least, probably even divisional with the right driver.  I don't think one
has ever won at Nationals, but the MK2 has been developed a lot further as
an autox car as well.

The NA MK2 uses the 2.2L Camry four (5SFE), which isn't much of a revver but
as Peter mentioned they have good torque down low.  The only real issue with
these engines that I'm aware of is that as they get older the valve seals
can leak, burning a little oil on a cold start.  This seems to be common to
a lot of Toyota engines from the 80s/90s.  My 4AGE does the same thing.  No
biggie, just keep an eye on the oil level.  My engine has 156k+ miles and
compression is *perfect*.  :)

This has been another random smattering of thoughts...

Bryan "No Torque" Heitkotter
'87 CSP MR2 [stock other than air filter]