Re: SUV explosion - in numbers

To: <Larrybsp@aol.com>, <Sethracer@aol.com>
Subject: Re: SUV explosion - in numbers
From: Lolita and Mike <lomike@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:11:22 -0800
on 2/21/02 18:09, Larrybsp@aol.com at Larrybsp@aol.com wrote:

> from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)
>
> There was a point in my life when I used my Corvette to tow my
> Solo II DP MG race car. Now the car and trailer weighed all of maybe 3000#.
> It worked great. I had pleanty of power and great brakes. I got LOTS of
> stares from people on the freeways.
> Times have changed. I now have a different road racing
> Corvette and tilt back trailer. Car and trailer weigh in at about 5500#.
> Don't forget when you go road racing you need plenty of tools, spare parts,
> gas cans, jack stands etc. I bought
> a Dodge Durango because with the 5.9 litre engine it will tow 7600#. When I
> go to
> a race its packed. The SUV is a necessity unless you want to drive a pick up.
> I chose not to join the knuckle dragger society so an SUV it was. FYI, the
> Durango equally equipped was $10,000 less than a Chevy Tahoe, the only other
> SUV at the time that could haul more than 5000#. I love the Durango for
> towing but its not a fun car to drive on a daily basis. The 13mpg is
> horrible, the brakes scare the hell out of me and God forbid I should ever
> have to swerve out of the way of something. Right now Its a big enough SUV so
> I'd run over it first. Probably just a rice burner so it wouldn't matter.
> Theres too damn many of them anyway. FWIW.
> Larry
>

> <In a message dated 2/21/02 7:16:23 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> <Sethracer@aol.com writes:
>
> << Subj:     SUV explosion - in numbers
> <Date:  2/21/02 7:16:23 AM Pacific Standard Time
> <From: Sethracer@aol.com
> < Sender:   owner-ba-autox@autox.team.net
> < To:   BA-autox@autox.team.net
>
> Don't get to hard over on the SUVs. In order to tow a 3000lb race car on a
> trailer, I had to have a vehicle with some heft. My 93 full-size Blazer
> didn't have the oomph to tow it, reliably. I bought an Avalanche to supply
> most of the truck aspects and many of the Station Wagon aspects. Yup, it's an
> SUV. But some people have real reasons to own them. If you don't use them as
> a daily commuter, and I don't, they can be a real asset to a family and a
> racer. - Seth Emerson

I wasn't going to wade in with my $.02, but some have made it irresistible.
Believe it or not, some people actually drive off road every day. That would
be those folk who build the roads everyone else cruise about on. BTW ,some
of those "knuckle draggers" can do things on the side of a hill with a dozer
that would make some of the whiners about surface at GGF faint of heart.(
come to think of it you'al must be talking about someone else- these folk
all commute at O dark thirty.)
MJ
Drive an Exploder to get to my members where they work without buying a CAT