Re: AutoX School -- street tires vs. race tires

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: AutoX School -- street tires vs. race tires
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:37:23 -0800
Quoth Cobra-man Jim:
> i would use whatever you will be using during the season.  you will
> practicing/learning new techniques, so you want your car to be in race trim.

And Katie replied:
> That's funny, because I was just telling Joey to run do whatever
> would save him more money. I think what most instructors teach
> transcends tire choice anyway, though I could be wrong.

I think you're both right, in different situations.

If the class is a "dial-in", or you're doing the class as a bunch of
practice runs to fine-tune your car and technique, definitely use the
tires you're going to compete at the most important events with.  If
you *perfect* your setup or technique on street tires, it won't be
perfect for race tires.

If you're taking the class to learn techniques, where you should be
looking, and what you should be paying attention to, I think street
tires may be a better choice.  They will let you know when something
stupid is happening a lot more readily than race tires.

If you're somewhere in between (which I expect a lot of us are), use
whichever is cheapest or easiest for you.  Once you have a sense of
what a mistake feels like, you can identify them even on race tires.
On the other hand, unless you're (insert name of must-be-an-alien
autocrosser here), you probably still have things you can learn about
general techniques before having to look at car setup or subtle
differences in your line for the last tenth of a second.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94