Re: Time Trial at Thunderhill

To: navid@interwoven.com
Subject: Re: Time Trial at Thunderhill
From: Larrybsp@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:33:59 EST
from:larrybsp@aol.com (Larry Stark)

                Navid,
                      I've been running track events for 3 years with a
pretty
fast Corvette and have never dinged a fender although I've come close
more than once. I had a few occurances where things could have
gotten ugly fast. I've been driven off the road to avoid body contact. I've
had the door slammed on me while passing in corners, etc. Thank
God for ABS. If it can happen on the track it will. I've run with only a roll
bar up to now. Given my experiences I've added a fire suppression
systen, racing seat, a master electrical cut off switch and a removable
steering wheel. Don't forget you've 9 seconds to get out of a burning car
before your 2 layer driving suit is toast. Drive in a cotton shirt and your
history. I'm currently installing a fuel cell to be followed by a full cage.
Navid, your a damn good driver and so are most of the other BMW
drivers so the problem is less for you than it is for me. I'll also run
fender
to fender with any Porsche driver and not worry either.  I run the green
or fastest HPDE class. There are some really good drivers and some
really bad drivers who run the class for their ego, not their skill. These
are the guys you have to watch out for. FWIW

                                                                   Larry

<< Subj:     RE: Time Trial at Thunderhill

 Charlie ses:

 > And I'll add my own.  Don't go for rides at 135 in a car without
 > a full cage
 > and competition restraints...  :-)
 >
 > Charlie

 Why not stay home and knit instead?  It's much safer!  That's of course if
 you have the safety-approved needles and yarn.

 I have been doing track schools and racing as long as I've been doing
 autocross.  I have never had a scratch on my car.  Accident do happen
 (especially now that Charlie has jinxed me), but the schools and time trials
 are very safe.  The risk of accidents do increase with wheel-to-wheel
 competition.  That's why the cage and other safety equipment is required for
 that kind of racing.

 --Navid