RE: Time Trial at Thunderhill

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Time Trial at Thunderhill
From: "Navid Kahangi" <navid@interwoven.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:55:44 -0800
> Unfortunately in your enthusiasm you've neglected to include ALL the costs
> of road racing. Most noticeably missing is the maintenance costs on your
> car. Even BMWs wear out parts. In what little I know about BMW parts, they
> are VERY expensive. Having the same installed will cost you money and/or
> time.
> And like all forms of automotive competition,
> Speed costs Money.
> How fast do you want to go?
>
> --John Kelly

I'll be the last one to argue that road racing is cheap, but as you recall
this conversation started as a price comparison between autox and road
racing.  So, let's do compare ALL the costs, shall we?

A set of Hoosiers last me about 40 autox laps.  That's 35 minutes of autox
driving.  The same set last me about 4 hours of track time.  Tire advantage,
road racing.

I do much more threshold braking in autox than I do on track.  Brake
advantage, road racing.

I spend much more time on the rev-limiter in an autox course than I do in 50
seconds of track.  Engine advantage, road racing.

I do shift gears a lot more on track than I do in autox.  Tranny advantage,
autox.  But then again, I've been on the same tranny for 145,000 miles
without a problem.

Then there are these bonus autox expenses like running at 3Com.  I broke 3
different things on my car last time I autoxed at 3Com.

--Navid