pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: pointless auto topic #38: short vs swoopy line
From: James Creasy <black94pgt@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:25:31 -0800
here's my question (although i think i already know the answer).

when is the short line preferred over the swoopy line?  this is most vexing
in a series of "S" shaped curves.  usually you would accelerate out of the
corner and 'use all the track'  on the exit.  however, with another corner
coming up and turning the other way, should you swoop all the out and all
the way back?, or reduce your exit speed and pull the car to the center (or
other) part of the track so you are not out of position for the next corner.

the short answer, of course, is 'it depends'.  the long answer might depend
a bit on what type of car you have.  this is interesting because despite all
the conversation about car types, usually there isnt much difference in the
correct line for most types of corners.

in my car, i always try to drive the shortest line possible, no swooping!

-james c
"True Street Autocross Series"