Re: Nationals Course or not!

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Nationals Course or not!
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 13:16:58 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:Sethracer@aol.com

"
Vernon writes:
If a person DNFs on their first day at an SCCA will this cause them to
quit? I don't think so.

<But maybe three DNFs could - It is supposed to be fun!>

If National level events have a certain style and we have another, I think
we should be the ones who change.

<We have a successful local autocross program, sometimes too successful. -
What is the reason that the local club should change our event "style"?  I
don't think the SCCA Nationals should change, either. Do we owe it to our
members to show them "The Way" of the Nationals?
Maybe yes - Maybe no. -  Seth>"

If you followed the National scene from its beginning at Wentzville, MO, in
1973, you'd realize a great deal of what happens in Topeka these days began
in the NorCal Sports Car Council several years before that. Oh, SCCA did
Not adopt the NorCal rules. Oh no. Never. "I don't care how they do it in
California!"

But slowly, ever so slowly, the National event HAD to change to accomodate
the ever increasing entry. It hasn't changed completely. But the
conclusions reached bear a remarkable resemblance to what some smart folks
put together in the late '60s and early '70s at the Pleasanton fairgrounds.
        One example: In the beginning the National event's host region had
to supply all the workers. We had been using our drivers as workers since
about our third event in 1971. Out of necessity, 'cause there was only one
SCCA member in Salina, KS, they came up with the interesting idea to use
all the experienced drivers as workers. Gee, where'd that come from? <G>
        The idea was first proposed in 1975 but the SEB rejected it. Then
came events with a distinct lack of workers. Something had to be done. <G>
The rest is history. Oh, the guy who invented the SCCA program came from
upstate New York. That shows you can accomplish anything in SCCA as long as
you're willing to let somebody else get the credit. <G>

--John Kelly