Re: Nationals Course or not!

To: Geoff Mohler <gemohler@www.speedtoys.com>, Sethracer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Nationals Course or not!
From: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@home.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 13:14:22 -0700
    Did you mean "cookie cutter"? Sometimes a lot size and dimensions
control what the course will do. National-type courses are really Roger
Johnson and Karen Babb style courses. For 2001, no one volunteered to design
the courses except for Roger J, and Karen was asked to fill in, which she
did. Both Roger and Karen like pointer cones, which to me can look like
downed cones. :)
    This all was a result of the national office forgetting to ask for
submissions.
They are asking for some new designers this year...
    When studying a course, you have to find the key corners, however
they're marked, and set up your run so you get the best of what's given you.
Looking ahead is a key, as in the south course design, where, after making a
sharp left, wiggling through some stuff, and doing a right-hand
sweeper...that right-hand sweeper had (at least at Topeka, not nearly so key
at GGF) a cone marking the entrance to the sweeper that "stuck out" into the
line many drivers wanted to take. I saw a lot of folks going "oops" with the
car, correcting, and then taking the corner w/o hitting that cone. They were
looking too far ahead, they forgot this little guy sticking out there. :)
--Pat K