Re: Driving Simulators

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driving Simulators
From: "Brad Martinson" <bmartinson@home.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:31:21 -0800
Hard Drivin', and it's sequel Race Drivin' were the best. Every "simulator"
since has suffered from a need to make it more fun than accurate.  Atari
Games were always more accurate than its competition, but even they caved
some in the current "Rush" series (SF Rush, Rush the Rock, Rush 2049).  Even
at 150 mph you aren't going to do THAT much air time thru San Francisco.

I still remember being astonished the first time I got the steering "light"
on Hard Driving, and the fact that trailing throttle oversteer was an actual
concern on track. More throttle often helped :-)

Trivia: there's a skid pad in one of them - Hard Drivin' as I recall. Head
hard left at the start of the game down a short road, and run circles 'til
ya run out of time.

And rumor has it that they instrumented a Corvette for the "feel" of the
game.

brad "anyone have a spare quarter?" martinson