Re: Bugs in SM

To: Bay Area Autocross <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bugs in SM
From: Greg Umbay <greg_umbay@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 21:39:23 -0700 (PDT)
--0-1681692777-961475963=:23943

SM allows bugs.  It's in the design and in the rules.  4 seats and 4 factory
seatbelts.  No CRX's but you can run a 5.1L RWD sports car .  Oh wait what is a
sports car?  /*ok repeated myself */

In message <394E8B60.28D23719@ATTGLOBAL.NET>, Rich Urschel writes:
> Keith Hearn wrote:
>
> > Personally, I'd rather have OSP be for cars that are still registered
> > and let the non-streetable cars go into the prepared and modified
> > classes.
>
> Jack's bug is still registered for the street. When your car is more
> than 25 years old you can maintain the registration by sending in
> money while doing anything you want to your car. The enforcement
> of street legal requirements is left to the police, not the DMV.

And just about any car can be made legal long enough for the smog check,
then reverted to race condition. Then there's the question of "street
legal in what state?" It's a can of worms, but the current rules make
OSP another name for "Open Production".

> > There's currently no place that a daily driver that's more
> > than street prepared can have a chance.
>
> Street Touring and Street Modified are attempts to solve
> that very problem.

Not for two-seaters. Add forced induction to a Miata (not an uncommon
thing), and you can either go into E-Mod and race against dedicated
race cars, or OSP and race against dedicated race cars.

Keith Hearn
'99 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
Milpitas, CA

Street Touring -S

http://streettouring.homepage.com

---------------------------------
--0-1681692777-961475963=:23943

<BR>
<P>&nbsp; <BR>
<P>SM allows bugs.&nbsp; It's in the design and in the rules.&nbsp; 4 seats and
4 factory seatbelts.&nbsp; No CRX's but you can run a 5.1L RWD sports car
.&nbsp; Oh wait what is a sports car?&nbsp; <U><FONT
color=#0000ff>/*</FONT></U><A href="file://ok repeated">ok repeated</A> myself
*/</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><BR>&nbsp;</P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In message &lt;<A
href="mailto:394E8B60.28D23719@ATTGLOBAL.NET";>394E8B60.28D23719@ATTGLOBAL.NET</A>&gt;,
 Rich Urschel writes:<BR>&gt; Keith Hearn wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt;
Personally, I'd rather have OSP be for cars that are still registered<BR>&gt;
&gt; and let the non-streetable cars go into the prepared and modified<BR>&gt;
&gt; classes.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Jack's bug is still registered for the street.
When your car is more<BR>&gt; than 25 years old you can maintain the
registration by sending in<BR>&gt; money while doing anything you want to your
car. The enforcement<BR>&gt; of street legal requirements is left to the
police, not the DMV.<BR><BR>And just about any car can be made legal long
enough for the smog check,<BR>then reverted to race condition. Then there's the
question of &quot;street<BR>legal in what state?&quot; It's a can of worms, but
the current rules make<BR>OSP another name for &quot;Open
Production&quot;.<BR><BR>&gt; &gt; There's currently no place that a daily
driver that's more<BR>&gt; &gt; than street prepared can have a chance.<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; Street Touring and Street Modified are attempts to solve<BR>&gt; that
very problem.<BR><BR>Not for two-seaters. Add forced induction to a Miata (not
an uncommon<BR>thing), and you can either go into E-Mod and race against
dedicated<BR>race cars, or OSP and race against dedicated race
cars.<BR><BR>Keith Hearn<BR>'99 10AE &quot;Sexy Sadie&quot; the Sapphire
Shark<BR>Milpitas,
 Touring -S</P>
Send instant messages with <a href="http://im.yahoo.com/";>Yahoo! Messenger</a>.
--0-1681692777-961475963=:23943--