RE: Tire Question

To: "'Elmoizme@aol.com'" <Elmoizme@aol.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tire Question
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 22:46:07 -0700
> Next time
> I see them doing that I'll make sure to mention this to them.
> Or better yet,
> could this be mentioned at the drivers meetings before the runs?:)

Not easily...you see officially "the powers that be" really don't care if
one car or another is in spec for a class or not, there are just too many
rules and too many classes to police properly.  Therefore enforcement of the
rules is %100 challenge based.  So it's entirely up to your competitors to
comb your car for illegal gear (tires just being one way to cheat) and
protest, and the inverse is equally true.

However, I would suggest not initially taking a combative stance and
assuming they are knowingly cheating.  For instance I have seen several
OSP-Rookie people think that any DOT legal tire is fine for OSP cars
(reading through the sups shows this mistake is understandable, though still
a mistake), but a simple factual explanation of the rules, along with a
gentile nudge that if they don't shape up an official protest will soon
follow, usually turns them around.  If they don't get a clue, well then,
protest away; but personally I like to give people the benefit of the doubt
first.

-Carl