Re: opinions on parking at Nationals

To: <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: Re: opinions on parking at Nationals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 20:04:33 -0500
To a great extent that is true. The real glut happens Wednesday.
Tuesday-Wednesday drivers are still competing. Even many of those done don't
plan to leave until Thursday at the earliest (never mind those who stay the
week) because they will stay for the banquet.  Thursday-Friday drivers are
arriving, setting up, teching, etc. Basically, on Wednesday afternoon almost
EVERYONE is there and needs a place to park. By Thursday noon, usually a lot
of spaces have cleared.

I rather suspect part of the Paddock Patrol operation may end up to be not
just be check-in, but also check-out, knowing when a space frees up could be
a real boon. Phil is going to need something a little more flexible than a
sheet of paper -- something that can be easily erased or written over (which
may just be stickers on that piece of paper).

It's a work in progress. I expect many kinks to be worked out for next year,
and new ones discovered that will be worked out in years following. Remember
that Phil did not invent it, "the plan" was handed him to execute and it was
something less than he might have done had he had it from the get-go. What
you see next year, I expect, will be more his creation and largely based on
his experience this year.

BTW, someone mentioned still seeing some "corrals" this year. Yes there
were, but mostly as a result of a group of drivers getting slots adjacent to
each other, and then arranging themselves within the allotted space. It was
not some squatters coming early to block off half a row for their five
friends. The parking slots were set up as sufficient to park tow vehicle,
trailer, race car all in a line one behind the other. Nothing prevented you
from getting together with the fellow next to you and re-drawing your spaces
as two squares each about 2 cars wide, rather than two long rectangles
parallel to each other. Do it with 4-5 neighbors and it is amazing how much
extra space you can create. And I know some did that, then fit another car
or two within it.

--Rocky