Re: Event organization question.

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Event organization question.
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:24:46 -0500
Most of the answers you've gotten so far have been from large regions who
have large events, for whom it is really necessary to have a structured,
formal system if they just want to get an event done before running out of
daylight.

If yours is a small club, with event turnout usually less than 100 or so,
then you can be much more casual about it. Casual is nice, IMHO, as long as
by doing so you aren't letting the event drag.

Our Salina Region events are usually small ones. We run heats of about 8
cars at a time, usually 4, maybe 5, runs. (And our first heat gets an extra
run to entice people to sign up for it).

We let people sign up whatever heat they want to run. Classes don't matter.
Then they also sign up for one worker heat, again their choice. Out here in
the wide open spaces, people seldom can make two events in one day (the next
nearest event, if scheduled, is 90 to 120 miles away) so that is not a
consideration. People can control their own schedule, pretty much. If they
have to leave early, they sign up for early heats -- worker and driver. If
not, the tendency is to work early, run late. Actually, our heat size is
usually predicated on the number of workers needed, so if a heat has eight
drivers, there are slots for eight workers.

The biggest problem that causes us is that often we find ourselves begging
and pleading for workers for the last heat. There are always several drivers
who do not work a heat because they are working all day (event chair, safety
chief, registrar, tech chief, etc.), but with sufficient whining and
wheedling, workers happen. Autocrossers are often quite generous if their
generosity is appreciated.

There are really any number of ways to run an event -- none a wrong way, but
some that work better for YOU than others might. I've run events where
everyone makes their first run, then everyone makes their second. etc. One
variant of that was that everyone got assigned a worker heat, one of four on
the day, and you ran one run in each of the other three.

My impression is that most drivers would rather make all of their runs in a
fairly short timespan. Not back-to-back, or any system that requires them to
hurry their preparation (or go out too soon when the car is too hot), but
enough that they do not have to do full warmups on the car for each run or
spend a couple of hours downtime between each run.

One thing that always bugs me is the "that's not how WE do it" intolerance.
Anyone who goes to an event somewhere else should expect the system to be
different. The visitor must adapt to the local system, and do so graciously
and in a sportsmanlike manner.

--Rocky Entriken