Re: Event organization question.

To: Larry Steckel <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Event organization question.
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:31:00 -0700
Larry,
        We have large turnouts...above 175 most of the time. So....that allows
us to have 8 heats per day. Classes are assigned to specific heats so it
looks like this:
        Run     Work
        1       3       some classes
        2       4       some more
        3       1       etc
        4       2       etc
course walkthrough
        5       7       etc
        6       8       etc
        7       5       more
        8       6       done
The classes rotate one group later each event. Registration closes at
noon; tech is normally on grid before runs.
        Slush Series had fewer entries so we split it into six heats, with a
similar setup like this:
        Run     Work
        1       3
        2       4
        3       1
        4       2
course walkthrough
        5       6
        6       5
Works okay.
        The purpose of running each class together is to keep the competition
and conditions as fair as possible, precluding someone from picking the
"best" time to run. For instance, Sunday we had an event where the
morning times were all in the dry, and the afternoon's 3 final groups
had wet pavement. The top paxing car ran in the wrong run group (in the
dry), while the rest of his class ran in the wet. Not fair, so his
position will listed last with WRG (wrong run group) in front of his
name.
--Pat Kelly