Re: 3rd gen RX7 reliability

To: Jeff Cashmore <cashmo@spec-rx7.org>
Subject: Re: 3rd gen RX7 reliability
From: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:49:00 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jeff Cashmore wrote:

> 93's had a bunch of TSB's but is that the only year they made the R1?

Yes and yes.

> Differences between an R1, R2 and Touring model? (strut bar, rear sway
> bar size, weight?)

Basically:

'93 Base, R1 and Touring available, springs and sway bars the same, softer
shocks and no front strut bar on Touring and base.  R package also
includes second oil cooler, front and rear spoilers, just extra weight,
from an autocross perspective.  Touring adds lots of C&C features, and
leather seats.  The R1/Base seats are sort of a seude and hold you in
place better.

'94 and up have a smaller rear sway bar, and the springs are different
between the R2 and Touring/base.  I *think* that the R2 springs are the
same rate, or possibly softer, than the '93 cars.

A '93 base is probably ideal for autocross, lightest, good seats, good
springs.  The only possible downside is the lack of the front strut bar,
which is of dubious value anyway.

> I'm told I'd probably want to replace the vacuum lines ($), anything
> else to look for?

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/buying.html - some salt grains may be
needed here, but lots of good info.

> Are the motors/turbos really cooked at 80k miles?

Some are, many aren't.  A lot of the early deaths are associated with
improperly done modifications.  Get a never-been-modified car, if at all
possible, and stay in super stock to maximize engine life.

> I always see Rx7 owners with water squirter's.  Is it hard to keep the
> motor cool?

I've never had mine overheat, but:

1)  The tiny stock IC gets very hot very quickly, and a hot intake system
will cause notable power loss.

2)  If the engine does overheat, it is more likely to sustain damage
(warped housing/blown seals) than a piston engine.

Hope that helps - everyone should own at least one RX-7! ;-)

Steven