Re: A-Mod

To: jemitchell@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: A-Mod
From: MBD96@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 01:00:23 EST
In a message dated 12/24/99 4:56:05 PM Central Standard Time,
jemitchell@compuserve.com writes:

<< >  The
 > purpose of the 'consolidation and restructuring rule' is to eliminate
 > undersubscribed classes as defined by their participation levels at the
Solo
 > II Nationals.

 No argument on that point. The wording, however, seems to rule out total
 exclusion of a previously legal car from the sport. Without that option,
 how do you deal with an undersubscribed AM? >>

As I recall the discussion that created the subject rule, the wording was
carefully chosen so something other than elimination could be pursued for the
cars in the undersubscribed class.  But the class was going away and there
was no guarantee the cars that populated it wouldn't require
significant/costly changes to compete elsewhere.  Combining AP/FP again
(which actually eliminated AP and renamed FP AP...) required few changes
since the cars used to compete together.  When DM was in danger it could have
required something more than just the weight adjustment the AP Lotus
eventually received to move someplace else.  That would have been a difficult
situation to address, much as the AM issue seems to be.

However, let's assume that karts had made it as a national class and then
became undersubscribed for 2 years in a row.  Would it make sense to combine
something so different as karts with another class?  Or would it make more
sense to eliminate them.  In my opinion this analogy is closer to what the
cars in AM face than what happened to AP/FP.

If you're thinking that AM could be 'reconstructed', that could change it
enough to essentially make it a NEW class couldn't it?  We would be changing
its rules in order to widen it's appeal (and MAYBE attract new cars very
different in some significant ways to the cars the class has currently
evolved into).

Since the rule was adopted that spelled out how undersubscribed classes would
be eliminated (around the time FM was a supplemental class at nationals) what
new class has achieved national status without a trial period (or
supplemental class status) at a Solo II Nationals?  So far none.

If there's nothing to consolidate AM with, and IF the SEB follows past
precedence for creation of a new class with a NEWLY Reconstructed AM, then
isn't it entirely possible that the current cars in AM would cease to have
any class to race in, at least until it earned national status again?

The point of all of this is this.  The elimination of AM (along with the cars
that populate it now) is at least a real possibility if the numbers aren't
there next year to support it.  There is only one way to be sure this doesn't
happen, and that's to see the class have adequate numbers next year at
nationals.  None of the other ideas, no matter how good or bad, come with any
guarantees like showing up with enough numbers does.  Especially those ideas
involving rule changes (as the allowance of more than 2 drivers per car
requires).

AM is the easiest class to fill with cars.  Virtually any currently classed
car can run there (a road race legal Neon compteted there a couple of years
ago).  Therefore I maintain my position that if it's undersubscribed next
year AM and its cars deserves to go (to help make room for the other new
classes coming on board).  However, I'm taking all bets that there will be
plenty of cars next year to put it back in good graces with the rule book.

Bruce (Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays) Dickey