Re: 3-and-3 runs?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3-and-3 runs?
From: PZahornask@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 20:42:54 EDT

 Craig Blome wrote:

  > We've had a bit of a debate on our local club list
  > today that I'm looking for input on.  It's been
  > suggested that an important skill for doing well at
  > Divisionals or Nationals is getting the course right
  > in three runs.

I think it all depends on what the goal of the club is.  If the goal is to
provide some weekend fun where novices can perfect their skills and the hot
shoes can get some testing in, then keep the course the same.

If the goal of the program is to develop National and Divisional caliber
drivers, then the 3 runs then switch idea carries more weight.  Learning how
to go fast in three runs is critical if you want to do well at Tours and
Divisionals.  If you have the extra runs, then you will not push yourself at
the start the way that you need to.

New England Region tends to operate on the latter of the two principals.
When we draw 200 drivers (the first two events of the year so far)  we only
get 3 runs.  We take them all in one heat, Nationals Style.

If you have a number of people that want to learn to do it in three runs, do
what the New England Sports Car Club does.  They run a Pro class (with
monetary payout even) that counts only the first three runs.  Drivers are
scored on the Pax.  Once the three runs are done, the rest of the runs do not
count towards the results at the end of the day.  Most take the opportunity
to either test, or try out other cars. You would not need to pay out money,
but grouping those that want to improve their National Level driving will
help them out.

Paul Zahornasky
29 HS - 87 Integra