Re: squealing brakes

To: ian@sunbeamalpine.org
Subject: Re: squealing brakes
From: "Paul Heuer" <p_heuer@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:08:34 +0930
Ahahahahah (mad laugh echos away),
I just cured my squeeeeeeling brakes after about a year.

My brakes were lousy, pulling to one side, sticking on, etc. But no squeal.

I rebuilt my calipers, and used phenolic resin pistons (they wont rust, are
lighter, cheaper than stainless). I re-used the old pads as they had plenty
of meat on them. The brakes squealed terribly when cold, but were quite once
heated up. Note, it had no shims between pad and piston.

I used some 'anti-squeal' compound which sort of glues the pads to the
pistons. The brakes now squealed terribly, all the time, but worst when
cold.

I replaced the pads and bought some cushioned backing material which you
glue to the backs of the pads (but which doesn't glu to the pistons). Squeal
cured!

A couple of club members also used the cushioned backing, one person had
squealing brakes even with the shims installed.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Paul.