2000-register

Direction Indicator Switch

To: 2000-Register@autox.team.net
Subject: Direction Indicator Switch
From: clifford.pope@virgin.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 10:02:42 -0700
Indicator Switch removal
Thanks very much, Dave, for the tips, I've just managed to remove the
switch.
Another case of someone writing a practical car manual without actually
doing the jobs
described!
You were right, the switch unit does not come off easily even with the 2
screws loosened,
because the cowl is about 1mm smaller in diameter than the switch. By
cautiously flexing
the plastic I was able to jiggle the lugs through a bit at a time.
The point of the exercise was to get at the overdrive switch behind the
indicator switch, as
the stalk had broken at the pivot point. I did manage to repair this by
extracting the broken
stub and drilling a new hole in the stalk.
Also found the plastic-based horn slip ring cracked at the fixing
screws, so ran some
superglue into the cracks.
Incidently, I strongly recommend 'Zipagap' superglue. It is intended for
mending cracks in
wood, but works just as well on plastic or metal. It flows, but has
gap-filling properties so has
lots of uses for bodging up loose fittings, switches etc. Also it comes
in a sensible bottle that
doesn't clog up or dribble glue down your fingers.

Thanks again,
Cliff Pope