2000-register

Direction Indicator Switch

To: 2000-Register@autox.team.net
Subject: Direction Indicator Switch
From: clifford.pope@virgin.net
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 07:28:26 -0700
Direction Indicator Switch.
Can anybody tell me how to remove this component please?
I have an early Mk 1. Following the instructions in the Autobooks
Handbook, I have removed
the horn push, steering wheel, and withdrawn the indicator stalk from
the switch.
Now the book says "Turn the front wheels to expose one of the switch
securing screws in a
cowling aperture. Slacken the screw. Repeat the operation to slacken the
second screw and
withdraw the switch"
When I try this nothing moves that is visible. The switch assembly seems
to be fixed tight on
to the column tube, and this obviously does not turn when the wheels
turn, only the shaft
inside it. So how can I turn anything to reveal a securing screw?
Surely I don't have to remove the whole steering assembly?
Or do I remove the plastic cowling, which seems to be in one piece with
the instrument
panel, and with no obvious means of attachment?
And does "slacken" the securing screw mean just that, or undo and
withdraw it completly?

Help much appreciated,
Cliff Pope