2000-register

Re: Thoughts on '67 MKI disassembly??

To: msharp@cynapps.com, 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thoughts on '67 MKI disassembly??
From: BrewsterDd@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:47:44 EST
Mike,

Some time ago I started to compile a list of all the nuts, bolts etc needed
for our cars, tying up part numbers and descriptions. This was a truly
international task as my dismantling of my relatively untouched Mk2 2500S
corresponded with Mogens Gemundsen in Denmark rebuilding his Mk1 2000 estate.
This list has been 'under construction' since about 1993 and is not yet
complete (university, marriage and several house moves having interrupted),
but drafts have been back and forth over the North Sea several times and full
credit must be given to Mogens for his very useful input and editing.

If this is of use to you, I'll hopefully be able to get a copy into a
reproducible format. Let me know.

Other than the normal advice of take lots of photos, label the wiring loom
and check everything against the parts catalogue as you take it out etc the
only specifics you might want to think about are:
- leave the roof headlining in place if you intend to reuse it - I'm told it
cannot be refitted once removed and will have to be replaced
- the mountings for the rear subframe on the Mk1 (and Mk2) changed several
times and may differ from that shown in your manual. Photograph and note the
order of bushes, washers etc very carefully
- remember that water off the front screen (windshield in your lingo!) drains
down inside the front wings. If working in this area, make sure the water can
still get out the bottom - a common mistake. Even better, seal it up at the
top to stop the water going this way.

David Brewster (Edinburgh)