2000-register

Thoughts on '67 MKI disassembly??

To: 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: Thoughts on '67 MKI disassembly??
From: Mike Sharp <msharp@cynapps.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 15:32:47 -0800
Hi,

Sometime in the next week or two I'm going to get started
on the ground-up restoration of my MKI!!

The first major step is to _totally_ disassemble the
vehicle in question and ship a rolling shell off the to
body shop.  (long ago I'd have done this myself over many
years, but I've now got more money and sense than time. 8-)

I've done a bunch of restorations before, so I'm well
equipped to deal with this in general.  I've already got
most of my parts suppliers lined up.  I've got the factory
spares & service manuals for reference, and I've worked
on and restored Spits, GT6s, and other 'toys' before so I'm
not too bad off.

So, why am I writing this?  Well, a 2000 is a very odd beast
here (San Francisco, California).  I've only seen a handful of
other 2000s and never have I been allowed to take any of
them apart.  8-)   I'm looking for any input that you care
to share on particularly tricky/nonobvious disassembly
procedures, frequently suicidal parts (like trim clips that
split in half, etc) and any other advice/warnings that you
care to offer.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

    --Mike