vtr

Re: VTR Nationals

To: ePaul21988@aol.com
Subject: Re: VTR Nationals
From: Barry Shefner <jacad@cam.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 10:49:46 -0400
Cc: vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
EPaul21988@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-07-20 15:01:39 EDT, KC3565L@sprintmail.com (Dave Fain)
> writes:
>
> << If they made it to the event in
>  the first place, they are good enough.
>  Dave Fain >>
>
> Just a thought about this thread and a question or two.
>
> I agree with Dave ( Hi, Dave).  A Triumph is a Triumph and most of us enjoy
> seeing every single one.  It's not so much the actual car, but the story
> behind each car that is interesting and fun.  If you want to create a stir
> and draw a crowd at a show bring a dismantled car on a trailer.  You will get
> more looks and comments than the concourse cars.  The line of perfectly
> finished cars are all directed at accomplishing perfection in sameness. (Sort
> of like the aerodynamically developed body styles of today)  With some minor
> variations the cars coming off the production line were identical.
>  Personally, when I walk down the concourse line at TR nationals or
> Triumphest I start to lose interest after looking at 10 or 15 gleaming,
> perfect looking cars.  I  do admire their efforts and their cars but find
> myself spending more time with unusual cars and daily drivers, although there
> are fewer and fewer sidecurtain cars in this category.
>
> Judging, or awarding trophies ONLY on the basis of  accurate factory
>  specifications excludes too may Triumph lovers. There is an element of
> elitism in this that discourages too many owners from participating.  I drove
> a TR2 in the early 60's and had buddies with AH's MG's and later TR's. With
> the exception of one brand new TR3B none of them were factory original.
>  Everyone made modifications almost as soon as they bought them, it was part
> of the individualism that went along with driving a 'Sports Car".
>
> I don't know how best to  open up the shows so any and all Triumph owners
> feel comfortable participating, but I do think it is important to do so.
>   Maybe different classes of entry would help.  Certaily an attitude of total
> acceptance of every Triumph present is necessary.
>
> Here's a question, and I am not being critical.  What expenses do the entry
> fees pay?  I read $75 per car at VTR, was that correct?   Is the National a
> fund raiser for VTR?
>
> Bill Sohl felt that allowing drop-ins onto the field would irritate regular
> participants.  Is this really the case?  If others feel this way I would like
> to understand why, an someone help me on this?
>
> Bob Paul
> TS45738L"O"
> TS7280L

Bob,

One needs the concourse competition as an incentive to "preserve the
breed". In another 10 years, chances are slim that you will see very
many side curtain cars still on the road driving. The concourse cars
give folks something to strive for when looking to restore their cars
and the fierce competition ensures that those perfectly restored
concours cars remain in tip top condition.
Perhaps there should be a new category introduced for those cars that
are restored strictly for show and those that are restored and used for
driving purposes or perhaps one for totally unrestored cars that have
been best perserved.

If one wants to attract more participants, one needs to make the event
more interesting. Perhaps more tech talks or scheduling a marathon
complete or partial rebuild of a "basket case" car during the 3 day
event. I'm sure it could be sold or auctioned at the end of the event
for profit. I know they did something similar at an event in England
last year and it attracted alot of attention.
Another suggestion would be to procure a local garage with 4 or 5
repair bays and set aside one day as "Triumph repair day" with experts
devoting the day toward giving free advice and actually doing repairs to
some of the cars that come. Labour would be free with the owner strictly
paying for parts. I bet that would attract quite a few participants!

regards

Barry Shefner
59 TR3A OTS 57675  (gold achievement award in concours VTR 96)
jacad@cam.org