vtr

GT-6+

To: VTR@autox.team.net
Subject: GT-6+
From: "Peter Mchugh" <PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 96 18:16:43 EST
Sender: owner-vtr

     Happy New Year to all...

     Having just removed most exterior body panels (and some of the
     interior panels as well) from my 1969 GT-6+ I am perplexed by the
     amount of interior rust exposed on remaining inner panels and
     structure.  The problem seems particularly acute in those areas where
     foam blocks and what I will describe as "plastic covered cloth
     baggies"  were inserted (for noise attenuation?).

     Would anyone care to advise me on:

        o  How (and with what?) to treat the inner surfaces, panels and
     other metal structure before I replace the exterior panels.

        o  Whether to replace the foam and "baggie" "moisture
     retainers"...and if so,  recommendations for alternative materials
     which would mute road, wind and engine noise and reduce moisture
     retention.

     I'm surprised to find these materials stuffed into the various nooks
     and crannies of the car...am sure that they softened the audio
     presence, but equally confident that the resulting rusty areas are
     less desirable

     Having solved the myriad other difficulties associated with
     restoration (How to fill the arc weld holes I've created in hand
     crafted repair panels and interior body parts, etc.) it is time to
     move briskly ahead and resort to the collective expertise of those of
     you kind enough to help save an LBC which might otherwise be relegated
     to some forgotten heap, or more ignominious, carted off to Japan as
     scrap metal for use in Toyotas or Hondas.

     I have a reasonably good GT-6 Mark 1 bonnet for sale (and am looking
     for a Mark 2 replacement).

     Cheers!

     Pete McHugh, CMAS 325
     73 TR-6