Re: One More Newbie Question (at least)

To: <JAshburne@aol.com>, <msecrest@voanews.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: One More Newbie Question (at least)
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@voanews.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:26:15 -0500
Paul has sort of summed up my feelings here -- I'm currently having a
blast with karting (if you've never been to a karting road race, I
suggest you check it out ... it's real racing), so I get all of the
competition I could possibly want with that.  And I do enjoy driving a
hot car on the street ... totally within the limits of the law, you
understand. ;-)  Taking that car to a couple of events a year, in a
greater spirit of fun, would pretty much complete my motorsport
desires.  And I am trying to avoid the whole
trailer-with-large-tow-vehicle investment, as well as the logistics of
storing a trailer.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6

"Paul M." wrote:

> > Forget it!
> > If it is a good track car, it usually makes
> > a lousy street vehicle, and if it is
> > decent to drive on the street, it is
> > almost always a boring track vehicle.
>
> I don't know that I agree with this 100%.  I admit
> that a dual-purpoase car is a bit of a "doesn't do
> anything particularly well" kind of compromise, but it
> just depends on what you're after.  If you want the
> best possible race car, obviously you should build one
> specifically for the track.  But if you're just out to
> have fun and get out there a few times a year, I say
> go for it.
>
> If you're looking for a somewhat occasional (and
> perhaps somewhat extreme) steet car that can also be
> used as a somewhat occasional (and perhaps somewhat
> uncompetitive) track car, then it's certainly been
> done many times before.
[snip]