Re: One More Newbie Question (at least)

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: One More Newbie Question (at least)
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:31:16 -0800 (PST)
> Forget it!
> If it is a good track car, it usually makes
> a lousy street vehicle, and if it is
> decent to drive on the street, it is
> almost always a boring track vehicle.

I don't know that I agree with this 100%.  I admit
that a dual-purpoase car is a bit of a "doesn't do
anything particularly well" kind of compromise, but it
just depends on what you're after.  If you want the
best possible race car, obviously you should build one
specifically for the track.  But if you're just out to
have fun and get out there a few times a year, I say
go for it.

If you're looking for a somewhat occasional (and
perhaps somewhat extreme) steet car that can also be
used as a somewhat occasional (and perhaps somewhat
uncompetitive) track car, then it's certainly been
done many times before.  God knows there are plenty of
guys driving their Porsches and BMWs to the track and
running in club races and time trials and having a
blast.  Stroll through the paddock of any SVRA event
and you'll see plenty of cars with current state
inspections and license plates.  They probably aren't
winning anything, but maybe they don't care...

Besides, if you end up turning it into a dedicated
track car over time, what's the harm?

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project