Re: [xk-engine] Idea's for Cleaning Off the Underside of a

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, <saloons@jag-lovers.org>,
Subject: Re: [xk-engine] Idea's for Cleaning Off the Underside of a
From: "Jeff Warner" <Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:24:55 -0500
I want to thank all who replied.  I have many new ideas to start my weekend of
fun off with a bang.

Probably have to make sure my daughter comes out to wake me up on Sunday
afternoon after a full day and a half on the creeper under the car stripping
the undercoating.  :-)

Thanks again for all of the options!!

Jeff

Too all of you that got three versions of this I apologize for the email dump.
 I didn't realize it was copied to xk-engine when I used another's email as a
basis for my question.  Will check better next time!!

>>> "BISHOP13" <BISHOP-13@ispwest.com> 9/27/02 3:15:16 PM >>>
Jeff W.
          It can be done, even on the backsides of painted panels, by using
a propane torch  or a hair dryer that will soften the undercoating enough to
be scraped off with a putty knife.
         Linger too long with the propane torch and you will burn the paint
on the opposite side of the panel.. plus some folks are a hinkie about
waving a torch around gas lines, gas tanks ect.
         The hair dryer needs to be a H-D commercial type to handle the
extended time of use and to produce enough heat..  Either that or tell your
wife that you just killed her old one... as she is stepping out of the
shower from washing her hair ;-}
        I've heard of "Heat Guns" being used, but don't know how much heat
they produce. too much or not enough.. maybe someone else might be able to
advise on this..
                           Charles #677556.