Re: Idea's for Cleaning Off the Underside of a Car???

To: "Jeff Warner" <Jeff_Warner@ssa-sa.sel.sony.com>,
Subject: Re: Idea's for Cleaning Off the Underside of a Car???
From: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:44:59 -0400
here is what i use and it really works!  i have a mac tools air gasket
scraper that has interchangeable blades of difrent widths and an aluminum
blade as well.   it is used for cleaning gaskets off for flat rate repair
work.   it neatly shaves off undercoating that is old and rock hard like no
bodys business.  it does leave some residue here and there.  tiny bits and
some thin film at spots.   i highly reccomend it as it does not involve
using a propane torch tosoften the undercoating and when you do use that
method the stuff smears and really makes a stink and a mess of gooey
residue.  the greasey stuff will be soft enough to just putty knife away .
and for a smoth clean finish get some cheap "clean up " laquer thinner and
wipe down the remaining surface to get any residual undercoating off the
bottom.   that will leave a surface wich you can paint or leave bare if you
choose.
i have been fighting 40-50 year old undercoating on 55-57 chevies doing
restoration work and the air scraper works rather fast and neatly.   after
you are finished making the tar chips fly you just sweep them up with a
broom!   be positive to wear proper eye protection!  the stuff flys
evrywhere and you will find dust where you least expect it under the
undercoating at spots!

cheers!
chuck
orange saab #25