RE: The Great Transmission Towing Debate

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The Great Transmission Towing Debate
From: <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 08:11:18 -0600
My full size Dodge van with a 5.9L V8, 4 speed tranny(OD), and a 3.7:1
rear end ratio, has 235,000 miles on the original engine and
transmission.  I've owned it since it was new in 1991.

When pulling a trailer I put it in drive (OD) and put the pedal to the
metal.  If it needs some 'oomph' when cruising up hills (I live in
Denver, we have some BIG hills here), I take it out of OD, and sometimes
I put it in second.  I don't 'lift' when it shifts, I don't do anything
special.  I change oil in the engine every 3000 miles, and transmission
fluid about every 60,000.  It is equipped with a trailer tow package
which includes a small transmission cooler.

Over 100,000 miles have been pulling a 5,500 pound travel trailer; and
about 20,000 miles pulling a smaller trailer, like my flat bed MGB race
car trailer.

Larry Hoy