Re: The Great Transmission Towing Debate

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Great Transmission Towing Debate
From: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 06:55:58 -0700 (PDT)
--- MHKitchen wrote:
> After consulting my owner's manual . . . . .

Don't forget that Owner's Manuals end up being written by lawyers
covering their companies against idiot owners.

My recommendations (no full throttle shifts etc) are based on
discussions with transmisison engineers at one of the Big Three. "We'd
love it if we could write the Owner's Manual this way but the lawyers
won't let us" is an almost verbatim quote.

If you consider yourself a competent race car driver (now THERE'S a
subject for a Great Debate!) you can drive your tow vehicle con
sympatico and shift manually off-throttle. The transmission will love
you. Of course if you do it wrong, like with double declutching or
anything else, you can create real havoc. But try it - it's easy - and
better.

Derek