Re: In car video cameras

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In car video cameras
From: Fred Crowley <oldwolf@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 16:53:02 -0600
I use a SONY TRV17 camera mounted right on the roll-bar. The actual mount is
just
a piece of angle-iron held to the roll bar via a couple of appropriately sized
muffler clamps. The camera is bolted through a hole in the angle iron and of
course has a safety strap around the camera and the mount.  The image is rock
steady. The image is in analog format - I convert it to an mpeg format in my
computer. Unfortunately mpeg is a real memory hog so to display the video on a
web-page I convert it to RealPlayer format. This significantly compresses the
file however the quality does suffer. The 1-lap of Hallett in mpeg is approx 25
Mbytes, while in RealPlayer format it's only 3.2 Mbytes
(http://www.corinthianvintagerace.com/). If your service provider allows you to
receive a file of this size (25 M), I can forward the mpeg file for comparison
of
quality.

Regards   Fred

David Littlefield wrote:

> Go to the CVAR homepage at http://www.corinthianvintagerace.com/.
> Download the "one lap of Hallett" video.  Although the video quality
> suffers from being put on the net, it seems that image stabilization is
> pretty good.
>
> Fred has done a couple of "one lap" videos that seem pretty good.  You
> can find him at http://www.teamhealeytexas.com/, which includes his email
> address.  You might ask him what sort of setup he uses.
>
> David Littlefield
> '62 MGA MkII
> '51 MGTD
> '74 MG Midget vintage racer
> '88 Jaguar XJ-S
>
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2002 13:16:04 -0500 Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
> writes:
> > I am shopping for a video camera.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
oldwolf.vcf]