Re: Pedigree, etc

To: djshea11@juno.com, VEENET@aol.com
Subject: Re: Pedigree, etc
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:57:52 EDT
In a message dated 07/19/2001 8:45:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
djshea11@juno.com writes:

<<  take it that the groups that you race in do not have the ban on more
 than 20 sq. inches of advertising per side .  When I purchased my car
 years ago it was light metalic blue with white stripes, orange spokes on
 the mage, and great big Gulf embelums on the hood, doors, and trunk. I
 was told they would have to go if I wanted to race SVRA

The current SVRA rule on this says "Contemporary advertising may not exceed
100 square inches per side. Historically significant markings are encouraged
and are exempt from this restriction".

This is there to discourage blatant indiscretion, not to prevent folks from
having a little fun.

I'm quite sure that some overzealous predecessor of mine may have told Dennis
this. However, during the last ten years I don't think we would have done it.
I don't see anything wrong with "period style" advertising used in good
taste. Even if not historically correct for an individual car. Gulf livery on
a TR4? That might be sorta cool. In the sixties many small time racers had
gas station or local dealership sponsors. Usually just for a discount on
parts or a place to work on the car. I think even fictitious versions of
these add to the interest and ambiance at vintage races.  I think advertising
with dot.com names look ridiculous though.

 <<Other class such as Group 4 (pre-1960 sports
racers) outlaw all advertising, not period and since none existed in period,
the cars show none.>>

SVRA Group 4 has no restriction other than the 100 (200) square inch rule. In
fact there are several regulars that have period advertising. Ever see the
Meister Brau Scarab?

Jack Woehrle