Re: Tow Vehicle - Vintage?

To: "Bob Schmitt" <bob.schmitt@sainthood.com>,
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle - Vintage?
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 15:39:51 -0400
For a few years, about 8 years ago, I towed using a 1970 Mercedes 280
SEL.  The trailer was a 1972 Glendale 18' camper with a big door in the
back - the Mini and later the Midget slid right in.  We lived in the camper
at the track.  Now, our 20 FOOT trailer is set up with an 8' camper section
at the front, and we stay trackside in relative comfort...

Brian

At 01:23 PM 7/5/01 -0400, Bob Schmitt wrote:
>Hi all -
>
>The tow vehicle topic comes up periodically, but I don't recall anyone
>suggesting any "vintage" tow vehicles.  I bought my '66 Imperial LeBaron
>with the possible thought of towing my vintage car (IF it ever gets
>completed, IF I decide to race it, IF...).  Except for the brakes, I think
>it has the basics which can be improved - 440 engine, solid transmission,
>very beefy frame, weight over 5,000.  A while back, I was looking for specs
>on the factory towing options and got these suggestions specifically to
>improve an Imperial for towing - they probably can apply to any older, good
>platform:
>
>http://teamchicago.com/imperial/imptowng.htm
>
>And how about a "convertible" Airstream, with a hinged back lid, for a
>smaller race car carrier?
>
>Bob
>
> > ROFL.  I know you are in jest, but it makes a great tow vehicle, if you
>are
> > handy with a wrench.  Drop a new 350 in it, shift-kit the tranny, bondo
>the
> > rust, and you have room to haul everyone and everything inside and the
>looks
> > that prevent anyone in a motel lot from ever thinking twice about stealing
> > your vehicle.  It also gives you a place to nap at the track and build SUs
> > out of the sand or rain.
> >
> > Good tow vehicles are what you make out of them, and what your needs are.
>/

Brian Evans
Director, Canada
MCI Wholesale Internet Services