Pacific NW Historics incident

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Pacific NW Historics incident
From: VEENET@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:59:56 EDT
I had a first hand example of someone ignoring yellow flags...As I came down
through turn 3 and 3a I saw yellow flags so I backed off. As I started toward
turn 4 I saw two yellow flags being vigorously waved along with a debris flag
so I backed off even more. As I got closer and could see around the kink that
is turn 4 I could see a car upside down on the left side of the track and a
worker kneeling next to it trying to help the driver get out from under the
car. There was dirt and bits all over the place. I was now approaching all
this about 25 MPH and another worker is giving me the "slow down" signal, so
I slowed down even more, ready to stop, He continues to excitedly wave at me
to slow down. I'm a little confused as I'm barely moving at this time when
for some reason I look in my mirrors and see a car behind me coming FAST. I
can tell this guy isn't going to get it stopped in time so I move to the
right and he goes right between me and the upside down car with tires
squealing as he is braking hard. I truly believe he would have had to hit one
of us if I had not gotten out of the way.
So this guy saw 3 flag stations display yellow and still arrived at the scene
of a bad incident at speed. When I spoke with him afterward he said he "had
it under control."
I guess this is why we always get "the speech" about flags at drivers
meetings.
I have a video camera on my car and have looked at the tape a few times to be
sure of what happened and it is all very clear on the tape.
BTW . the driver of the upped down car was not injured.
Jerry Burr
Devin,Lotus ,Lola...