Re: Still shimmies- I'm running outa ideas.

To: thomkuby@iwvisp.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Still shimmies- I'm running outa ideas.
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 15:35:39 EDT
In a message dated 7/1/00 12:07:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< Subj:     Still shimmies- I'm running outa ideas.
 Date:  7/1/00 12:07:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  thomkuby@iwvisp.com (thom kuby)
 Sender:    owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net
 To:    triumphs@autox.team.net
 CC:    ednelson@ridgenet.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
vintage-race@autox.team.net

<< - Could someone tell me what numbers they're using for front-end toe?  I'm
 thinking maybe the Toe isn't set right - I set it EXACTLY according to the
 factory manual, any tricks here?>>

try increasing toe-in or toe-out. This should stabilize any looseness is
steering. If you have to go much more than 1/8" either way, you will start to
see abnormal tire wear. On race cars we normally use toe-out to help turn-in.
Street cars generally use toe-in. If the wheels are exactly parallel they
will tend to wander.

 <<- And what was this about the driveshaft?  does it really require
 balancing? or is that so much "snake oil"? (and, if it does get balanced;
 How?)>>

Any driveline specialty shop can balance the driveshaft or make a new one,
but this isn't related to the shimmy. An out of balance drive shaft can cause
all sorts of things on the car to fall off.

 I once had a Spitfire that had a series of weird problems. First the gas
tank baffle came loose and caused pin holes where it was spot welded to the
tank. Got a trunk full of gas! Then the rear swing axles both broke within a
week of each other. The needle fell off the speedometer. One of the mirrors
broke off.

I had replaced the diff with a junk yard item and apparently the drive flange
had gotten bent. There was just enough vibration in the drive line to set off
oscillations throughout the car.

Jack Woehrle