Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?

To: David Laver <David.Laver@msdw.com>,
Subject: Re: Vintage racer: What car to buy?
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:53:00 -0800
David Laver wrote:

> I agree dual purpose cars will not 'do really well' but that's not my aim.
>The
> fight is to keep my aim such that the car doesn't become a hot rod or
>unusable on
> the road.  Its a question of taste and pocket vs ambition.  I have a fairly
>hot
> Lancia Aurelia and a bog standard 1098 Midget - both of which are more than
> exciting enough for me on any track and neither of which are anything like
> competitive.  Then again I don't do championship events so I'm not really
> competiting. The choice is more for the venue, the company, and convieniance
> ballance with family and work.  I like the buzz, I like the cars, winning is
> secondary and that cuts the bill by ten fold.

I absolutely agree. Keep in mind that if you're racing in a car that you drove
to the track (in the true spirit of the thing), that there is a chance you might
need help to get it home.

> Also think about the fact that there are many road cars modified way beyond
> historic legal.  You can modify some.

Of course, EVERYBODY wants the homologation legal options...

> I still think my best advice is 'run what you brung' until the right car finds
> you.  You'll know it when you see it.  Meanwhile track days and sprints in
>any car
> - maybe go to Hertz for a car each time.

Too bad they don't still have the GT350-H to rent out. ;=)

Cheers, and I hope the right car finds you.