Re: Speaking of drum brakes...

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: Speaking of drum brakes...
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 13:29:27 -0800
Brian,

Machining away on a drum of the correct ID probably would be the way
this could be done. The pegs I referred to aren't radial. They stick
out the face of the drum against the wheel, not the circmference of
the drum. I don't think they were cast in place because of the pegs.
Certainly on the Fiat ones I would like to renew, the intricate
casting of the ventilation holes and subsequent machining operations
would seem to indicate the drum liner was added afterwards.

The Alfa drums defintely have these pegs, but I'm not sure about the
Fiat ones. Fiat may well have done it as you suggest, with splines
on the liner and outer part of the drum.