Re: Speaking of drum brakes...

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: Speaking of drum brakes...
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:27:14 -0800
Remember, in my original note, I said I was NOT converting to discs.
That includes a "stealth" disc.

I think the way they were made originally was by a shrink fit. The steel
or Iron liner also has integral pegs that go thru the Aluminum, then get
mashed to effectively become a rivet. Pegs inserted into holes in a liner
would certainly generate cracks, as John Harden described. The other
thing I believe the manufacturer counted on was the Galvanic action of
the dissimilar metals cementing the two together. I shudder to think what
the Aluminum will look like when the liner is cut away.

I highly doubt the liners were made of water pipe. There would be a seam.
I also think cast Iron would be too brittle.