Re: Alabama titles

To: "Carter Hendricks" <carterh@crl.com>,
Subject: Re: Alabama titles
From: "Jack Rubin" <jrubin@ryr.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:20:09 -0600
In Illinois, we have quaint institutions called "currency exchanges" which
are private enterprises where you can cash checks, pay utility bills, and
also register vehicles.  These guys process titles en masse and are very
tolerant of "mistakes" and "corrections".  I've titled old Alfas by
explaining that the previous owner had entered the "engine number" and I was
correcting it to the "chassis number" (this did at least require having a
valid title for _something_).  I've also been able to title a car where the
prior owner had died and his wife signed the title with a signature that
looked nothing like his -- no problem!  I'll probably go the Atlanta route
for my Topolino which has no paper at all, though it's tempting to try just
writing up a bill of sale and trotting over to the exchange!

Jack