Re: Titling a racecar in CA

To: Walt@chekov.mayfield.hp.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Titling a racecar in CA
From: MHKitchen <MHKitchen@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:59:20 EST

<< Now according to section 38010, all off road vehicles...identified by
 the DMV are.......EXCEPT for:
 ..
 paragraph B  Number 9
 Any 4 wheeled motor vehicle..operated on a closed course...in a
 competitive event, sanctioned by a recognized body, or by permit
 of local government. >>

Well now, there you have it.....I stand corrected.   I guess this also allows
guys like Little Al, and the Intimidator to come here and race without paying
title fees!!

But then, depending on the car and the event, you may be required to show
registration and proof of insurance to compete.  Events that come to mind
include the Virginia City Hillclimb, Silver State Classic, and a few other
"road events".  At the LAGP last year, the LA police were citing non-licensed
race cars that were being driven from the paddock to the area where trailers
were being stored (they didn't want them mixing with the civilians, I guess).
There are times when a current registration is a benefit, if you can get one
(particularly for the guy behind you who's wondering why your street car is
ahead of him!!).

Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (race car or street car?) Cortina Mk1 #128