Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com
Subject: Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios
From: "Edwin Smith" <EHSMITH@us.oracle.com>
Date: 23 Dec 97 11:33:26 -0800
--=_ORCL_6287994_0_0
Content-Transfer-Encoding:quoted-printable

Simon writes:
"I'm not so sure about this.  Perhaps for spectator events, but not for
the more typical club events.  Most clubs have had to shift their cutoff
dates forward a bit to make ends meet.  The spectator events may pick
and choose, because they always have more applicants than grid spots.
Again, Monterey is the worst case with around 3:1 or 5:1."

I"m looking at VARA, for example.  They had an EX or X group that was a
catchall for some 348's, fake Cobras, late Vettes, etc........I understand
they've eliminated it as they've had better subscription to their events and
can fill fields with their standard fare......

> 4.  More "vintage" race organizations will  be spawned to accomodate cars
> displaced from other groups.  Emphasis will be on period preparation for
the
> production based cars...

It's nice to have a dreamer around. In Heaven, everybody's a vintage
racer, right? ;=3D)

In the last 4 years here in N. Cal....., a number of new organizations have
popped up and the existing orgs have been finding more new folks turning
out, more cars being built and much more interest in  racing in general.
NASA spun out of SCCA and seems to be doing fine.....Green Flag racing
migrated out of the Shelby Club track group and runs 3-4 events each year
and fills 'em.  Porsche Club runs 5-6 Time trials and two national club
races and finishes in the green each year.  BMW club has an expanding
program........you can pinch me if you like but I don't think I'm dreaming
about this...true, they're not vintage orgs. but there's a trickle down
effect.  I know Shelby clubbers who have migrated to SCCA, Porsche clubbers
gone to vintage, etc. etc.

The
> market for open wheelers will grow and prices will follow as the supply is
> fixed.

>Would that it were true!  I seriously doubt this.  Spectators just don't
>identify with cigar shaped objects.  This is why the "tin tops" are so
>popular.

True enough, at least 4 spectators approached me at Laguna and were asking
serious questions about how to find a B/P or C/P car for vintage.......I
know several tin toppers who are looking at open wheel cars and trying to
figure out what to get.  Sure, it's hard to justify 35K for a Jr. when a FF
can be had for 12K.......the point is that the sports growing and the market
will reflect that.  I personally think that Jrs. are overpriced but it's a
bit of an exclusive group isn't it?  Look to Europe for that trend and I bet
it continues........

In any case.....time will tell.........Happy Holidays, Simon....will look
for you at CSRG events, we're bound to meet sooner or later.......

Ted

--=_ORCL_6287994_0_0