Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios

To: morrisoxford@s054.aone.net.au
Subject: Re: SSP#2 - HP:IQ Ratios
From: "Edwin Smith" <EHSMITH@us.oracle.com>
Date: 22 Dec 97 15:29:40 -0800
--=_ORCL_6280785_0_0
Content-Transfer-Encoding:quoted-printable

Andrew:

Here's my take on your query.........Here in the states, the spectators seem
much more interested in the "tin tops" as you call them as opposed to the
open wheel cars.  At the Monterey Historics this year, the AP and BP cars
and TransAm cars drew the most attention by far.  The last race on Sundday
was a F5000 race and was preceded by TransAm.  The bleachers cleared after
TA and before the F5000s were into 4 laps, traffic was backed up on the exit
roads.  That said, most vintage events in the states aren't spectator
events, rather are for the benefit of the participants.  Being basically an
economic determinist, here's my prediction on the future.......

1.  As interest grows in vintage racing(and it is growing quickly here), the
organizers will become more particular about the type of cars they run as
fields fill and they have more options.

2.  Cars with "period race history" will have preference over the stockers
that recently grew race equipment.

3.  As more folks join the ranks vintage drivers and learn more about race
history and the significance, driveability and fun of the open wheel cars,
interest in them will grow.  Spectators will also learn the differences and
more will watch them.  Drivers may start out in "tin tops" but some will
gravitate to the open wheelers.  You can turn an old sedan or sports car
into a vintage racer but I haven't seen anyone reproducing Lotus 18's. The
market for open wheelers will grow and prices will follow as the supply is
fixed.

4.  More "vintage" race organizations will  be spawned to accomodate cars
displaced from other groups.  Emphasis will be on period preparation for the
production based cars...

5.  There will be more spectator oriented events.

6. Everyone will have more fun........

Happy Holidaze to all.....

Ted Smith
1964 Corvette B/P roadster(period history)
1966 Porsche 912 D/P (no early history)
1983 Porsche 944 PCA Club racer, I stock
1959 Elva FJr (under resto), significant history
1969 FSV (in negotiation), significant history

--=_ORCL_6280785_0_0