Re: Nitrogen in tires

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Nitrogen in tires
From: Dick Carlson <atrltd@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:22:19 -0500
At 07:10 PM 6/17/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Said he fitted a new set of tires each race day to each of the 5 vintage
>Mustangs under his wing. After sucking the air out, he replaced it with
>Nitrogen, because "using Nitrogen to inflate the tires, the tire
>pressure increase whem hot was only 20% of tire pressure increase using
>air"
>
>Have some laws of physics been repealed?, or perhaps they don't work at
>weekends at race tracks, or is there really something going on here?
>Malcolm Cox Napa CA 1960 MGA

 Actually, any dry gas would work. I checked with our local bottled gas
man, and I believe the
real reason nitrogen is used by all the teams, is economics. Nitrogen is
about $26 per 300
cubic feet, and air (not oxygen, but air, the mix) is $32.

 It *is* true that you local compressed air from home or the gas station,
will have water
vapor in it, and *that* is what heats up and expands to a great extent, and
not knowing what
the humidity is leaves the expansion ratio unknown. So they use a cheap,
dry gas, i.e. nitrogen.