Old Magazines

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Old Magazines
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 18:54:43 PST
I blundered into an antique show at a local mall last weekend.  To my
surprise, one of the dealers had large stacks of old car magazines.  I
must have gone thru 6 12" stacks of magazines.  I came away with 11 of
them for only $40 total!  Some of the treasures include:

Car and Driver, June 62.  Dan Gurney's beaming face graces the cover.
Inside is a cutaway of an air-cooled Ferrari F1 car???!!!???  It had a
transverse in-line 8 cylinder engine with 4 2-bbl Webers!  Whatever
happened to it, I wonder?  There are also some startling photos from the
62 Geneva auto show.  Would you believe a Bertone 2+2 coupe based on a
rear-engined Simca that looks for all the world like an Alfa GTV, or
2600 Sprint?  There's also a very curious "spy" photo of what they
called a "GT Giulietta" from Alfa.  In convertible form, it looks
interesting, but unremarkable.  With a hard top shell bolted on, HOLY
SH*T!  It's the TZ-1 prototype they're touting.  Sure enough, they
mention a tubular frame, 1600cc motor, inboard rear brakes.

C&D 7/64:  A road test of the Alfa 2600 Spider.

C&D 6/71:  The Alfa Montreal on the cover.  The article said it was
"worth the wait."

An official program from the Laguna Seca Sports Car races of June, 1958.
It it are some names of greats, and soon-to-be greats.  John Von
Neumann, Richie Ginther, Bob Holbert, Walt Hansgen, and Bob Winkleman of
Formula Ford fame (driving an MGTC).  There's also a fabulous aerial
shot of the 1958 Laguna Seca track.

I also got several issues of the SCCA national rag, "Sports Car."  One
particular issue has 1967 season final race standings for the various
divisions.  As the owner of the one-off Bourgeault Formula Junior, I am
always looking for Bourgeault references in period magazines.  In this
one issue of Sports Car, I find Nick Reynolds (of the Kingston Trio)
ranking 2nd in a Bourgeault Formula C.  He drove my car while Bourgeault
was building him that one.  Nade Bourgeault was ranked 7th.  Elsewhere
in the same issue I found a write-up of the Lake Tahoe GP put on by the
SF region.  In it, Larry Albedi was also running a Bourgeault.  I have
talked to him, and it would appear this car is the one I now own.  He
finshed in 21st place, behind a Stanguellini, with a Lotus in first.
See, nothing has changed in 30 years!  ;=)