Re: allowed modifications

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: allowed modifications
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 10:29:56 -0500

> On the other hand one of the the least fun incidents is to ruin an
> expensive weekend by blowing something up in first practise.
> Therefore, cheating to increase reliability is a a good investment,
> cheating to increase performance is pointless.
> If you reeeally want to go faster, buy a reeally faster car.

It isn't "cheating" if it was something that was allowed then, and almost
everything except the block and head (incl carbs) was considered replaceable
by aftermarket items on the engine. In the early days of allowing mods
(early 60s) it had to be a factory supplied part, but that restriction only
lasted a few years.

> It would be handy (for us newbies) to get a copy of SCCA gcr's for the
> year appropriate to your "point of preparation".  It would be nice to
> get a first hand flavour of what what was and what was not allowed.
> Anyone know if reprints of these gcr's are available?

Wonder if SCCA has them? I have a early 50s version I found at a flea
market!

> Since we are being philosophical, I believe I'll have another beer.

A noble gesture!

jeh@fotec.com         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm
veni, vidi, veloce